How MomFriends Make or Break your #Momlife

August 18, 2017 18 Comments

How MomFriends Make or Break your #Momlife

August 18, 2017 18 Comments

Momfriend: A friend you make with the common bond of both being moms
The term “momfriend” didn’t enter my vocabulary until I had my first baby. Before that, I just had “friends” or “girlfriends.” Fast forward four years and my “momfriends” are just my friends, because the only friends I have left are moms (with the exception of a few).

“A good momfriend is a lifeline when you’re drowning in a sea of crying babies, unfolded laundry and cranky husbands.”

It wasn’t until I became a mom that I realized the crazy bond momfriends have. I literally feel like I could not live without my momfriends even though I know I technically could, but it would really, really suck. Because mommin’ ain’t easy.
IMG_2854
A good momfriend is a lifeline when you’re drowning in a sea of crying babies, unfolded laundry and cranky husbands. A good momfriend is there for you to vent to whenever you need it and it’s judgment free; sometimes it’s via text, sometimes it’s a phone call, sometimes it’s over Snapchat with a funny filter. If you need her, she’s there. A good momfriend is down for a night out and sometimes it’s at a moment’s notice because you’re losing your sh*t and need a break. A good momfriend loves your child almost like they are an extension of their own kin – they treat them with genuine care and understanding. At a BBQ with a bunch of people and your kid trips and hurts himself/herself? A good momfriend swoops in and plays the mom role if you’re not around. Did your child accomplish something? A good momfriend is genuinely proud and excited for him/her – and there’s zero passive aggressive comments made about how their child did it earlier and is so advanced, blah blah blah because a good momfriend would feel sick if she knew she made you feel anything other than happy and proud of your child. Is your child struggling at something? A good momfriend finds the silver lining and helps you to see it in a more positive light. She encourages, supports and loves and you give all of that right back to her. Making a medical decision for your child? A good momfriend never ever criticizes it because she knows those types of decisions can only be made by the mother/father. She tells you to trust your mom gut – and she definitely does not send you links from .org websites to argue her point that what you’re doing is harmful to your child.
IMG_6804
You know what’s sad? Finding good momfriends like this isn’t easy. If you’re new to this mom life, don’t be discouraged! You’ll find your mom tribe, but you may have to weed out the not so great momfriends, or learn to tune out their garbage. But once you find even just one true and genuine momfriend, the amount of enrichment you’ll get from that relationship is immeasurable. Yes, husbands and family are super important too; not trying to belittle those relationships. I just want to spotlight the female bond of motherhood because is unlike anything you’ll ever experience. So let’s all strive to be the very best momfriends to each other: whether you work outside the home or inside the home. Whether you’re “just a mom” (that phrase irks me) or your child spends their weekdays at daycare. Let’s do less of the snarky/passive aggressive comments. Let’s do less Facebook posts of articles that say our way of mothering is the better way. Whether you get an epidural, have a home birth, elective c-section, breast-feed, pump and bottle feed, formula feed or a combination of both, let’s all be good momfriends and give nothing but support, love and encouragement. If moms were all besties, we’d take over the world. So let’s make that our goal, shall we? 😉
IMG_7018IMG_2853IMG_2848.JPGIMG_017722AE77CD-99C0-4ED3-AB8B-C28F20B904C3
How Momfriends can make or break your #momlife - tips on how to be a good Momfriend

18 Comments

• Megan @ The Many Little Joys August 25, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Agreed. Mom friends make the tough days of motherhood feel so much more manageable and give you someone to celebrate the little victories with. 🙂

• Lauren | also known as mama August 26, 2017 at 2:04 am

Mom friends are everything! I don’t know how I survived before I met my tribe!

• xokerry August 26, 2017 at 3:06 am

It looks like you have a solid group of mom friends! You are a lucky lady. I’ve had a hard time finding any local friends since we moved.

• lifeofaministermom August 27, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Mom friends are crucial!!! you have to have someone you can relate too during the crazy rollercoaster ride called motherhood!!

• Tejal August 29, 2017 at 10:59 pm

You are so right about mom friends! They are a great lifeline!

• Jessica 🌿💜 August 30, 2017 at 2:10 am

Awh I wish I had a group of moms like this! Every momfriend I have is either too far away or we don’t mesh well. It doesn’t help that I’m an introvert with social anxiety lol

• Nicole DeSantis August 30, 2017 at 11:47 pm

I am so thankful for my mom group. We are so different yet have so much to relate to. I am thankful for my mama friends!

• Valerie Clement August 31, 2017 at 3:55 am

You are so lucky! Like you said it is not easy to find mom friends!

• mamainulgences September 1, 2017 at 6:32 am

Loved loved reading this. Moms friends are so important for mamas not to feel isolated and alone. Being a mom is hard so having a mama friend to support you, listen and be there for you is so important.

• hharris2277 September 2, 2017 at 3:55 am

I have to have my mom friends! I think they keep me sane!! Other moms are the ones that GET me the most. They are the ones I can laugh with, so I don’t cry or break down! Great post!

• houseofmitchells September 3, 2017 at 12:27 am

Seriously! Sometimes I want to cry so then I’ll text a mom friend and go out for a mani/pedi or drinks and I feel a million times better afterward!

• magalytompkins September 2, 2017 at 6:28 pm

I cannot agree with this more! Momfriends are everything after children. I’m so grateful to have them in my life and don’t know what I would do without them.

• houseofmitchells September 3, 2017 at 12:26 am

For reals though! Would tuck mom friends into my mommy survival kit

• Lindsey September 2, 2017 at 10:14 pm

I must admit that your post and pics have me all kinda of jealous! As a new mom, I haven’t made any mom friends yet. #goals

• houseofmitchells September 3, 2017 at 12:24 am

Lindsey I wish I could give you a hug and invite you out for a mom’s night out! I swear to you I felt the same way you did in the initial months after I had my first. But if you could time travel I guarantee that in a year or two you’ll have a little circle of mom friends you can rely on. Stay strong mama xoxo

• thesemamamoments September 3, 2017 at 12:29 am

I love this!! Mom friends are so, so important to surviving motherhood!! I’d be lost without mine!

• presentfullmama September 3, 2017 at 6:37 am

Awww I love the term momfriends!! There is something special about those friends that you have a great bond with that as soon as everyone has kids deepens the relationship. Great post!!

• Kayla Roberts January 25, 2018 at 4:52 am

I dont think anyone else quite “gets it” like other moms, thankful for my mom friends. ❤️