SOLD: My Feelings on Selling Our First House

June 12, 2017 No Comments

SOLD: My Feelings on Selling Our First House

June 12, 2017 No Comments

IMG_5671.JPG.jpegIf you follow my Instagram stories, I’m sure you’re aware that we sold our home and are getting ready to move. I have mixed feelings about this, but I’m surprised at how numb I’m becoming as the move out date gets closer. Is it an emotional defense mechanism? Will it finally hit me as we drive away for the last time?
After all, this is where I brought my babies home from the hospital; it’s where they both took their first steps; it’s where I learned about all the intricacies of motherhood. It’s also a project that Ryan and I worked our butts off on for four years, completely gutting and updating it from top to bottom. As I look around, all I see is stuff we did to transform the once dated, popcorn ceiling little home that could.
It’s just a structure, but it was a place our family called home through crazy high fevers, pregnancies, dinner parties, birthday parties, arguments, apologies, Christmas mornings, laughing, loving – the list goes on for infinity. We moved in just the two of us (with Porter in my belly) and we are leaving as a family of four. The most life changing thing we’ve done in our lives is become parents – and this is where that crazy adventure went down.
This house saw life lessons TO THE MAX. We learned so much about ourselves, each other, our marriage, how to communicate with one another, our strengths, weaknesses, fears, dreams, unique needs, etc.
This sounds so cliché but I think it’s because of where we were in our lives when we moved in, vs. where we are now as we say goodbye. Four years ago we were newlyweds with no kids and now we will be celebrating our six year wedding anniversary in a few months and are responsible for meeting the needs of two crazy boys…and man are they needy at times haha. This house is where we learned that huge life lesson of how to put other people’s needs before your own, and we have grown wiser as a result.
This is so cliché, but it’s truly how I feel:

“Home is wherever I’m with you”

As special as these past few years have been, we are ready to move on – we took a hideous house and made it beautiful. We made a family. We learned SO MUCH. As we drive away from our first home for the last time, I hope I only glance for a moment and appreciate what it gave us, but look forward excited for our next adventure.

• Tabitha Blue / Fresh Mommy Blog June 16, 2017 at 3:34 am

Awe, congrats on selling!!!! We just bought a new home!! 🙂

• Mal June 16, 2017 at 7:42 am

Congratulations! I felt the EXACT same way when we sold our first home!!! Now as my husband is trying to convince me to sell our second (insert eye roll/cryface emojis here) the emotions are hitting me way harder that the first time!! <3

• houseofmitchells June 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm

My friend’s hubby is trying to do that too! They just moved in a year ago and redid the whole thing and they have 3 small kids (eye roll). She’s like, uhhhh no and he’s like “as soon as we’ve been here two years and we get around capital gains tax” LOL. Men!

• Mal June 17, 2017 at 5:03 am

OMG MY HUSBAND SAID THE SAME THING lol

• Lights and Sirens Kind of Life June 16, 2017 at 11:17 am

Congratulations on selling your home. And I love the quote ” Home is Wherever I am with you”.

• houseofmitchells June 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm

i feel like i see that quote all the time but it’s just so true!

• Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy June 17, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Congratulations on selling your home! And you are so right… home is wherever you are with family. I have a feeling your new home will bring lots of new memories.