SOLD: My Feelings on Selling Our First House

June 12, 2017 No Comments

SOLD: My Feelings on Selling Our First House

June 12, 2017 No Comments

IMG_5671.JPG.jpegIf you follow my Instagram stories, I’m sure you’re aware that we sold our home and are getting ready to move. I have mixed feelings about this, but I’m surprised at how numb I’m becoming as the move out date gets closer. Is it an emotional defense mechanism? Will it finally hit me as we drive away for the last time?
After all, this is where I brought my babies home from the hospital; it’s where they both took their first steps; it’s where I learned about all the intricacies of motherhood. It’s also a project that Ryan and I worked our butts off on for four years, completely gutting and updating it from top to bottom. As I look around, all I see is stuff we did to transform the once dated, popcorn ceiling little home that could.
It’s just a structure, but it was a place our family called home through crazy high fevers, pregnancies, dinner parties, birthday parties, arguments, apologies, Christmas mornings, laughing, loving – the list goes on for infinity. We moved in just the two of us (with Porter in my belly) and we are leaving as a family of four. The most life changing thing we’ve done in our lives is become parents – and this is where that crazy adventure went down.
This house saw life lessons TO THE MAX. We learned so much about ourselves, each other, our marriage, how to communicate with one another, our strengths, weaknesses, fears, dreams, unique needs, etc.
This sounds so cliché but I think it’s because of where we were in our lives when we moved in, vs. where we are now as we say goodbye. Four years ago we were newlyweds with no kids and now we will be celebrating our six year wedding anniversary in a few months and are responsible for meeting the needs of two crazy boys…and man are they needy at times haha. This house is where we learned that huge life lesson of how to put other people’s needs before your own, and we have grown wiser as a result.
This is so cliché, but it’s truly how I feel:

“Home is wherever I’m with you”

As special as these past few years have been, we are ready to move on – we took a hideous house and made it beautiful. We made a family. We learned SO MUCH. As we drive away from our first home for the last time, I hope I only glance for a moment and appreciate what it gave us, but look forward excited for our next adventure.

• Tabitha Blue / Fresh Mommy Blog June 16, 2017 at 3:34 am

Awe, congrats on selling!!!! We just bought a new home!! 🙂

• Mal June 16, 2017 at 7:42 am

Congratulations! I felt the EXACT same way when we sold our first home!!! Now as my husband is trying to convince me to sell our second (insert eye roll/cryface emojis here) the emotions are hitting me way harder that the first time!! <3

• houseofmitchells June 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm

My friend’s hubby is trying to do that too! They just moved in a year ago and redid the whole thing and they have 3 small kids (eye roll). She’s like, uhhhh no and he’s like “as soon as we’ve been here two years and we get around capital gains tax” LOL. Men!

• Mal June 17, 2017 at 5:03 am

OMG MY HUSBAND SAID THE SAME THING lol

• Lights and Sirens Kind of Life June 16, 2017 at 11:17 am

Congratulations on selling your home. And I love the quote ” Home is Wherever I am with you”.

• houseofmitchells June 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm

i feel like i see that quote all the time but it’s just so true!

• Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy June 17, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Congratulations on selling your home! And you are so right… home is wherever you are with family. I have a feeling your new home will bring lots of new memories.

• Had the best Sunday celebrating the birthday twins 👯 🎂 Today @ktrec and tomorrow, @laurenerickson1027. I’m sure glad these two babes were born 34 years ago...these girls are my sunshine on a cloudy day ❤️ ⛅️ swipe for some major throwbacks ➡️
    • Fridays are for flashbacks, so here I am 26 years young after I had just said my vows to the love of my life @ryancurtismitchell. My bouquet was so heavy, my forearms were sore for days afterwards 💐🏋🏻‍♀️😂
    • “The days are long but the years are short”
💫
Today I’ve been reflecting a little bit on time as we approach the year 2019; just one year shy of the year 2020, which kind of boggles my mind when I sit and really think about it. 💫
How has it really been that long? I had Porter in 2013 when I was 28 years old and in so many ways it feels like yesterday. How am I in my mid thirties already? How was college graduation literally 11.5 years ago? How is it that Ryan and I have been together for 10 years and married for 6? 💫
My 92 year old grandmother often tells me she doesn’t feel 92 and I’m really starting to understand. I guess all we can do in this life is appreciate every moment because in a blink of an eye, we will wonder how that said moment was so long ago. 💫
This also makes me think about how life is too short to spend time with negative people or drink bad wine. And also I need to get some Botox. 😂🍷💉
    • I graduated from high school in 2003, so I vividly remember the days of film/photo albums. As digital cameras and social media took over, printing photos became kind of a rare thing for me to do. I’ve had so many scares where I think digital photos have been lost forever and I personally know people who have tragically lost precious baby/wedding photos 😭. So when I got the opportunity to partner up with @google using Google Photos, I was intrigued! On my phone and within literally FIVE minutes, I was able to create this album of our trip to Maui from over the summer. It was the easiest thing ever using the Google Photos app, cost about $20, and they have free standard shipping until 12/12! This album has already been a coffee table conversation piece and my kids have been fondly reminiscing our trip 😍. My new normal is definitely to have Google Photo albums! These are also awesome Christmas gifts 🎁🤩#googlephotos #photobooks #googlepartner
    • Christmas magic through their eyes ✨🎄🎅🏻
    • Yesterday we had our first parent-teacher conference for TK and it turned out to be much more thorough than I would have imagined. It was so amazing to hear feedback from his teacher about this boy we’ve been trying to mold & raise for the past 5 years. So many things said about him that made me just beam with pride, but the most profound praise was that he exhibits an unusual sense of empathy and compassion for others. If there was any one trait in this world I could hope for my kids to have, it would be that❤️ #portercurtis
    • Porter: I wish it was Saturday.
Me: Why?
Porter: So I can be here and do hugs with you all day.
Porter said this to me as I was hugging him. He went from driving me crazy (arguing with basically everything I say all day, urrrday) to making me cry with his sweet words. Hello emotional roller coaster 🤪😭😍❤️
    • When you rush into your toddler’s room because of the silence and find this 🤷🏻‍♀️. I don’t even know who you are anymore Presto 😂 #prestonhenry #thisistwo
    • Thankful for these goofs today and everyday 💙💙 #porterandprestonm #builtinbestfriend @dianaelenaphotos