Hey Diddle Diddle 1st Birthday

March 20, 2017 No Comments

Hey Diddle Diddle 1st Birthday

March 20, 2017 No Comments

First birthdays have always been a big deal, but millennial moms have taken it to a whole new level if you ask our Baby Boomer parents. What can I say? That’s just how we roll…
Preston’s first birthday was definitely not as detail oriented as his big brother’s was because it’s just harder to plan parties with two kids in tow (second child syndrome) and also, Preston had Croup just one week earlier so we were a little distracted.
Still, I wanted Preston to have a special first birthday.
I decided on a Hey Diddle Diddle theme because Preston gets particularly excited whenever he hears that nursery rhyme. It’s pretty adorable :).
I didn’t find a ton of Hey Diddle Diddle party ideas on Pinterest that I liked, so I sort of just threw this together. I picked some colors and ran with it — I threw in some Hey Diddle Diddle references here and there, but it was definitely understated because I just couldn’t spend the kind of time on this that I would have liked. I kept the menu easy by having a sandwich bar. The smash cake and cupcakes were made by my favorite Sacramento bakery, Freeport Bakery. Here are some pics for inspo in case you ever want to use this party theme!
IMG_2514IMG_2510
IMG_2544.JPGIMG_4248.JPG.jpgIMG_2583.JPGIMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2533IMG_2524IMG_2526IMG_2527IMG_2530IMG_2529IMG_2528IMG_2532

• babiestobookworms March 23, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I love this idea! We had a song version of this rhyme at camp growing up and once I sang it to my daughter it became one of her favorites! I will have to remember this for her birthday!

• Nostalgia Diaries March 23, 2017 at 7:27 pm

This is so adorable! I love that theme!

• themomnoms March 23, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Happy birthday little man! It looks like you had a great time. And congrats mama you made it through a year and threw an amazing birthday party!

• Leila March 23, 2017 at 10:49 pm

It looks like an amazing birthday party, well done mama! Happy birthday little man!

• sally (@lovestalgia) March 24, 2017 at 9:01 am

What a gorgeous theme and party! Love all the details!!

• Angel March 24, 2017 at 12:53 pm

So cute! Love the birthday cake

• homeboundbuthopeful March 24, 2017 at 6:59 pm

This is such a cute and unique theme! I love all the extra details you included to really bring the party together- it looks like such a fun and festive time!

• thekeeledeal March 24, 2017 at 9:11 pm

So cute! I love the idea of using hey diddle diddle for a birthday!

• savagesevenblog March 25, 2017 at 2:39 am

This was super creative and cute and as a cake artist, I LOVE his cake! Everything looks perfect and I loved the wine with the juice boxes! My youngest son’s middle name is Preston 🙂 -Breyona Sharpnack

• Danielle March 25, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I love this idea! Looks like everything turned out super cute. So sorry he had croup right before his birthday. No fun.

• Had the best Sunday celebrating the birthday twins 👯 🎂 Today @ktrec and tomorrow, @laurenerickson1027. I’m sure glad these two babes were born 34 years ago...these girls are my sunshine on a cloudy day ❤️ ⛅️ swipe for some major throwbacks ➡️
    • Fridays are for flashbacks, so here I am 26 years young after I had just said my vows to the love of my life @ryancurtismitchell. My bouquet was so heavy, my forearms were sore for days afterwards 💐🏋🏻‍♀️😂
    • “The days are long but the years are short”
💫
Today I’ve been reflecting a little bit on time as we approach the year 2019; just one year shy of the year 2020, which kind of boggles my mind when I sit and really think about it. 💫
How has it really been that long? I had Porter in 2013 when I was 28 years old and in so many ways it feels like yesterday. How am I in my mid thirties already? How was college graduation literally 11.5 years ago? How is it that Ryan and I have been together for 10 years and married for 6? 💫
My 92 year old grandmother often tells me she doesn’t feel 92 and I’m really starting to understand. I guess all we can do in this life is appreciate every moment because in a blink of an eye, we will wonder how that said moment was so long ago. 💫
This also makes me think about how life is too short to spend time with negative people or drink bad wine. And also I need to get some Botox. 😂🍷💉
    • I graduated from high school in 2003, so I vividly remember the days of film/photo albums. As digital cameras and social media took over, printing photos became kind of a rare thing for me to do. I’ve had so many scares where I think digital photos have been lost forever and I personally know people who have tragically lost precious baby/wedding photos 😭. So when I got the opportunity to partner up with @google using Google Photos, I was intrigued! On my phone and within literally FIVE minutes, I was able to create this album of our trip to Maui from over the summer. It was the easiest thing ever using the Google Photos app, cost about $20, and they have free standard shipping until 12/12! This album has already been a coffee table conversation piece and my kids have been fondly reminiscing our trip 😍. My new normal is definitely to have Google Photo albums! These are also awesome Christmas gifts 🎁🤩#googlephotos #photobooks #googlepartner
    • Christmas magic through their eyes ✨🎄🎅🏻
    • Yesterday we had our first parent-teacher conference for TK and it turned out to be much more thorough than I would have imagined. It was so amazing to hear feedback from his teacher about this boy we’ve been trying to mold & raise for the past 5 years. So many things said about him that made me just beam with pride, but the most profound praise was that he exhibits an unusual sense of empathy and compassion for others. If there was any one trait in this world I could hope for my kids to have, it would be that❤️ #portercurtis
    • Porter: I wish it was Saturday.
Me: Why?
Porter: So I can be here and do hugs with you all day.
Porter said this to me as I was hugging him. He went from driving me crazy (arguing with basically everything I say all day, urrrday) to making me cry with his sweet words. Hello emotional roller coaster 🤪😭😍❤️
    • When you rush into your toddler’s room because of the silence and find this 🤷🏻‍♀️. I don’t even know who you are anymore Presto 😂 #prestonhenry #thisistwo
    • Thankful for these goofs today and everyday 💙💙 #porterandprestonm #builtinbestfriend @dianaelenaphotos