California Mom's guide to Gibson Ranch Country Park

February 24, 2017 No Comments

California Mom's guide to Gibson Ranch Country Park

February 24, 2017 No Comments

img_2402
“We passed through Sacramento on the way to Tahoe” was a statement I heard often during the six years I lived in Orange County and later, Los Angeles. It was said innocently, but it always kinda irked me because my hometown has so much more to offer than your average passer through town and I never understood why more people couldn’t make the distinction between Sacramento and say, Modesto (no offense to Modesto). Home to over a million residents, the Sacramento region has an NBA team, a United Soccer League team (there’s talk about them becoming an MLS team) and a minor league baseball team, which is a Triple-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. It also has a lengthy history dating back to Sutter’s Fort, The Gold Rush and the Central Pacific Railroad. It’s home to the Crocker Art Museum which houses internationally recognized art pieces, not to mention our rich pool of local artists. We have endless nightlife options and a booming restaurant scene (even according to our Bay Area frienemies). PLUS, we’ve been declared the ‘Farm-to-Fork’ Capital of America, which means you can rest assured that your food is most likely sustainably sourced from a nearby farm. I should probably also mention that Sacramento is the Capital of the sixth largest economy in the world, but I’m assuming you already know that.
californiamomsimage-1Hopefully all of this info has drawn you into visiting if you haven’t already, because I’ve teamed up with a group of California Mom bloggers (check out their links at the end of this post) and we are spilling our local knowledge of places to take your kids throughout our beautiful state. I decided to share about a less obvious spot, Gibson Ranch Country Park, about 20ish minutes outside of Sacramento, because it’s a destination you wouldn’t easily find just by googling.
Located in Elverta, CA, this 30 plus acres park is still within Sacramento County lines, but you’ll feel like you’re out in the country. When you enter the property, you’ll almost immediately see horses peacefully grazing, as well as endless natural fields, heritage oak trees and a pond filled with fish, ducks and geese. I immediately feel a sense of tranquility when I enter; I roll down the windows and let that clean country air blow through the car.

Here are a few activities you can do while you’re there:

Feed the Ducks

I’ve been reading more and more about how feeding bread to ducks is bad for them, so here are some alternative options, or pick-up some duck feed

Have a Picnic

There are shaded picnic tables all around the pond, near the playground

Let the Kids Play

There’s a large playground close to the pond

Go Fishing

The pond is stocked with catfish and trout

Fly a Kite

The park’s wide-open fields are the perfect spot

Run Around

Just set the kids loose! There are acres of fields for them to run around and wear themselves out

Visit the Stables

You can see the horses close-up, or you can call ahead and see if there are any horses available to rent for a little ride around the property

Hike

There are five-ish miles of trail

Host an Event

Gibson Ranch accommodates parties as large as weddings and as small as family BBQs – I’m thinking this could be a good spot for my son’s 4th birthday in September 🙂

Go Camping

You can reserve a campsite or even a rustic cabin

This park is seriously cool – it’s a must see if you’re ever out this way, even if you are just passing through on your way to Tahoe 🙂

Be sure to head over to these other California moms and check out some of their favorite spots:

• Yosemite Snow Days.... - Tiffany Ching-Bean February 27, 2017 at 3:18 pm

[…] Bethany at House of Mitchells […]

• Nili February 27, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Looks like a great park, similar to the ones we have here in Ohio.

• houseofmitchells February 28, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I’m sure you have tons of parks like this out your way! Sadly these come few and far between out here…but we do have lots of parks. They just aren’t “country parks” if that makes sense.

• notinjersey February 27, 2017 at 7:36 pm

That sounds like a sweet spot to check out!

• Shoes to Shiraz (@shoestoshiraz) February 27, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I have only been to San Diego..some day I’d like to drive the coast of Cali and see way more!

• houseofmitchells February 28, 2017 at 4:56 pm

The coastal drive is seriously breathtaking! Poor Sacramento gets left out of that drive though since it’s east of San Francisco. But if you feel like making a right after you explore Muir Woods, Mendocino area, there’s tons to do in Sacramento! Plus you could stop in Napa on your way 🙂

• Justine @ Little Dove February 27, 2017 at 9:09 pm

I have never been here! I will definitely have to check it out, it looks like the kind of place my kids would go crazy for! And I agree, there is SO much do in the Sacramento area!

• houseofmitchells February 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Funny that your spot I had never heard of either! This was such a good idea on your end for us all to share 🙂

• Whitney February 27, 2017 at 11:44 pm

We adore Sacramento! My husband’s close friend lives in a suburb near Roseville and it is a big contender if we ever moved! I feel so blessed to live in a state with so much natural beauty!

• houseofmitchells February 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I actually live in Roseville (although we are listing soon and likely moving back to the Sacramento suburbs). Glad you know it! 🙂

• amybeeman77 February 28, 2017 at 1:22 am

Sounds like it’s time to plan a road trip!!!! 😃

• Sarah @ Foxy's Domestic Side February 28, 2017 at 1:56 am

Oh my goodness, how fun! I’ve never heard of this before.

• Ashly J February 28, 2017 at 2:27 am

If I ever in that area of California I will check it out. We are excited that we are making a trip to San Diego this spring! Can’t wait!

• houseofmitchells February 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm

LOVE San Diego! It’s definitely a great destination 🙂

• sunshineandmunchkins February 28, 2017 at 3:42 am

This looks like somewhere my kids would love to go! Pinning for future reference!

• […] at Chasin’ Mason *Sarah at Foxy’s Domestic Side *Tiffany at  Tiffany Ching Bean *Bethany at House of Mitchells  *Whitney at Work it Mommy  *Justine at Little […]

• The Domestic Realist February 28, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Sounds like a beautiful place to play and live close to! And looks like you had a great time!

• Jennifer L. Corter (@jenngem) March 7, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun!

• Rio Linda Online December 21, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Bethany, may I repost this blog on RioLindaOnline.com? Full credit and backlinkage, of course. I love it and the content is perfect for my site and will resonate with my readers. Thanks so much! – John Todd