DIY Sofa Table

December 28, 2016 No Comments

DIY Sofa Table

December 28, 2016 No Comments

I recently decided to sell my coffee table and go with this round ottoman my friend found for me via @whimseygirldesign’s daily farmhouse décor deals, available at Wayfair. I was excited for the change, but I knew I needed to find an alternative place to put my coffee in the morning, and wine at night.
I follow several interior designers on Instagram; one particular favorite is Rachel at @shadesofblueinteriors. She’s definitely worth a follow if you’re looking for some inspiration. One day I noticed this sofa table behind her couch and I became obsessed. I asked her where she got hers and she responded letting me know that she and her husband actually built it themselves; she did her own design (as they often do), but pointed me in the direction of where she knew online plans were for something similar. You can find those plans here via @jennasuedesign and give her a follow because she’s also super inspiring.
Ryan and I have gotten pretty handy over the past three years of home owning, but building actual furniture is something we hadn’t attempted. Ryan’s a civil engineer, so he has the right skills needed to follow a design and I was confident he could do it.
Here are some pictures of the process from start to finish.

We definitely learned some things along the way and will be slightly altering the design if we decide to build another one. A friend of mine wants one, so we’ll likely tweak the design to our liking. Not to say there’s anything wrong with Jenna Sue’s – her design totally works.
I mixed my own stain to give it that rustic Restoration Hardware look. After I was done staining, I went back over it with 220 grit sandpaper to rough it up a little. I then used Finishing Wax and did another light sanding job to rough it up a little more. I used Benjamin Moore paint in White Dove for the legs.
Since I’m sharing so many of my favorite Instagram accounts for design inspo, I should also include Aly McDaniel at @thedowntownaly – her feed is super inspiring and it helped me style my new sofa table. Give her a follow if you like farmhouse décor and also her Instagram stories are hilarious.

• Jasmine - LoveLifeLaughMotherhood December 29, 2016 at 4:16 pm

If I didnt have a toddler that climbs on everything, I would so do this!

• houseofmitchells December 29, 2016 at 8:26 pm

how old is your toddler? I have a 3 year old who knows not to touch, and a 9 month old who will probably make my decor life a living hell in a few more months haha

• 21flavorsofsplendor December 29, 2016 at 6:41 pm

This is so cute! Because our sectional sits in the middle of our living room I don’t have a sofa table, but I will definitely have to use your ottoman for inspiration for my house. 😉

• houseofmitchells December 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm

The ottoman has been so great! I def suggest adding some sort of tray for a hard surface just in case you do want to set down a drink for a moment. I’ve seen soooo many cute ottomans on Wayfair for cheap!

• onepeainthepod December 29, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Very nice! I love Wayfair!

• houseofmitchells December 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Thank goodness for Wayfair and their affordable home goods!

• JustPlayingHouse.com December 30, 2016 at 2:03 am

I love these sofa tables! Have wanted to attempt one myself. Looks so easy. Turned out beautiful. Love your decor.

• Brittany McGee December 30, 2016 at 12:48 pm

this is fabulous! I might have to do this for my downstairs living room

• savagesevenblog December 30, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I have seen several pinterest tutorials for building tables and storage spaces and I must say yours made it look super easy. I love the color you picked for the staining and it looks great behind your sofa! -Breyona Sharpnack

• Justine Y @ Little Dove January 2, 2017 at 6:37 pm

It looks amazing! I really love how the whole space looks together. It feels so good when you can DIY, doesn’t it?

• Miri January 2, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Nice style. It is also good to engineering minded hubbies 🙂

• AnAdornedAbode May 16, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I absolutely love this, and I am not sure why I haven’t thought about doing something similar! This is definitely on my list of projects now. Thanks for sharing.

• houseofmitchells May 21, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Thank you so much! I felt the same way when I saw it on Shades of Blue Interiors. Since my coffee table is an ottoman, it’s the perfect place to set my coffee/wine and my 1 year old can’t reach 🙂