6 Red Lipsticks to Rock this Holiday Season

December 8, 2016 No Comments

6 Red Lipsticks to Rock this Holiday Season

December 8, 2016 No Comments

Guest post by my dear friend and talented make-up artist, Gina Marie Wheeler. You can read about her background in Voyage LA Magazine.
***
fashionwoman_405535045-2-jpg
Nothing says holiday makeup like a red lip moment. Everyone looks good with a red lip, which is why new and seasonal collections always include the timeless hue. There are a few common reasons why some people avoid the bold color and I’ve found that most of the time it’s just intimidation. I’m here to tell you, it’s all in your head. You can and should rock a red (especially during the holidays). MAC Cosmetics is my go-to brand when wanting extensive color options. The quality is superior to most and the price point is great. I’ve narrowed down the 300+ color options that MAC offers to 6 Lipsticks and 2 Lip Pencils. These colors can truly be worn by ALL.img_1561

PREP + PRIME LIPS

PRO TIP Before wearing any bold or pigmented color you need hydrated, soft lips. MAC makes this great lip primer that not only moisturizes, but eliminates feathering. Every lip product looks and wears better on top of Prep + Prime Lips.
Price: $17.50
mac_sku_m4xa01_640x600_0

LIPSTICKS

LADY BUG LIPSTICK

“If you’re still feeling a little red lip shy, try Lady Bug, it’s sheer and effortless”
Yellow Tomato
Finish: Lustre/Semi Gloss
Price: $17.00
mac_sku_m31a12_640x600_0

DUBONNET LIPSTICK

“If you think of red wine as the perfect lip color, Dubonnet is your shade.”
Deepened Claret
Finish: Amplified/Cream Finish
Price $17.00
dubonnet

DARE YOU LIPSTICK

“If you feel comfortable with red but still want to keep it natural, Dare You looks like a lip stain”
Deep Brown Red
Finish: Creamsheen/High Shine
Price: $17.00
dare-you

RUBY WOO LIPSTICK

“Ruby Woo is a cult classic; it’s been around for decades and is a true Pin-Up red, that makes every lip pop.”
Vivid blue red
Finish: Retro Matte/Very Matte
Price: $17.00
mac_sku_m0n904_640x600_0

STUDDED KISS LIPSTICK

“Punk rock lips have continued to stay on trend for the past few years, so if you like a dark lip or are ready to go a little vampy try Studded Kiss.”
Dark oxblood red
Finish: Matte
Price: $17.00
studded-kiss

CHATEAU M RETRO MATTE LIQUID LIPSTICK

“Liquid lipsticks are so popular, their pigment and stay power make them low maintenance and opaque perfection.”
Deep Red Wine
Finish: Retro Matte
Price: $21.00
screen-shot-2016-12-08-at-8-31-39-am

LIP LINERS

PRO TIP If you worry about feathering, or fading, get one of these amazing lip pencils. They are creamy and glide on nice and smooth but set and stay for 8 hours. Line your lips and fill in with your pencil prior to lipstick for ultimate wear and color. You can also wear this Pro formula liner alone.

DIVA PRO LONGWEAR LIP PENCIL

Intense Reddish Burgundy
Price: $21.00
ms-diva

HE SAID, SHE SAID PRO LONGWEAR LIP PENCIL

Brick Red
Price: $21.00
he-said-she-said
The key to the red lip is, let her be the star. Don’t think you need to balance that lip with a Smokey Eye… Red Lip look should include:

1. Flawless Skin
  2. Groomed & Filled in Brow
  3. Bare Eye or Winged Liner
  4. Heavy Mascara or False Lash
  5. Light blush

• Gina Wheeler December 8, 2016 at 9:11 pm

💄💋💄💋

• Charissa December 9, 2016 at 1:39 am

I don’t know if I have ever worn a red lip but now I am tempted!

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:12 pm

you totally should give it a try! I’ll admit i was timid before I tried it, but once I did I was hooked. The shade I def recommend you trying out is Lady Bug by MAC. it was the first red I rocked and it’s subtle so it’s a good way to ease yourself into the look!

• ktgoff3 December 9, 2016 at 4:26 am

You can never go wrong with a good red lip! Loved this read!

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:11 pm

right? it’s my favorite look. I feel like when I’m having a bad day it actually boosts my mood and there’s actual research that suggests that’s not all in my head. I can’t remember where I read it but I included a link to it in one of my old blog posts – I think it was the one about how to avoid the baby blues? Not sure. But yes, def a huge fan of the classic red lip!

• Justine @ Little Dove December 9, 2016 at 5:16 am

Love these, they are some gorgeous reds! Also, I see in your header that you’re in Roseville. I’m in Auburn, we’re practically neighbors! 😉

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm

We totally are :). I’ve been to old Auburn a few times and love it! it’s so cute!

• CJ December 9, 2016 at 5:25 am

So, so, so pretty!!! I just recently got a red color and I have ALWAYS been a MAC Girl… However, have you ever checked out the Maybeline LIP STUDIO™ COLORBLUR® CREAM MATTE PENCIL & SMUDGER? OMG’sh it’s amazing! I get people stopping me all the time and it has great reds and pinks! You should check it out <3

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I def will check it out! I imagine it’s even more affordable too which doesn’t hurt!

• Naya @ Lactivist in Louboutins December 9, 2016 at 5:40 am

I LOVE red lips, your choices are amazing. I am going to have to check out the Retro Matte shade you picked.

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:08 pm

My friend Gina is an amazing make-up artist and is killing it in LA right now. Lost of the shades she picked were new to me as well. I’m def heading to the MAC counter ASAP to try some of these shades on!

• Jennifer December 9, 2016 at 8:46 am

I started wearing red lipstick a few months ago and I love it! I used to be so shy to wear red lipstick, but not anymore! I love how you can keep your makeup very simple and just add red lipstick and it seems to give you a very chic look. The colors I like on your list are Chateau and Ruby Woo.

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Another red I’m obsessed with that Gina didn’t mention is Lady Danger. It’s also MAC. I always get asked what it is when i wear it!

• Jennifer December 10, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Ohh! Sounds good! I love MAC makeup. Their makeup quality is the best!

• Stephanie December 9, 2016 at 11:12 am

I love this—if only I could rock a red lip!

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:05 pm

you totally can! I highly recommend trying the Lady Bug color on here. That was my first red I ever rocked. It’s much more subtile than most of the other ones. You should totally go to the MAC counter and try it on. You might be surprised!

• alexandrachristineboutique December 9, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I love red lips! You should try Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in the shade ‘Underage Red’ it’s my favorite!
    Xo, Alex

• houseofmitchells December 10, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Thank you! will check that one out! I actually haven’t yet tried liquid lipstick but after my friend wrote this post I was intrigued.

• Elizabeth Edgar December 11, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I’ve been looking for a lip liner, so I will be checking your recommendations out!